Continuing to make progress
Since I joined Quickbase, we have begun to implement a multi-stage diversity and inclusion program. Phase I of our DEI efforts has been focused primarily on our Black employees, for a few reasons. First, according to both quantitative and qualitative data, Black employees face obstacles to advancement that other minorities don’t. They are less likely than their white peers to be hired, developed, and promoted, and their lived experience at work is demonstrably worse even than that of other people of color.
And second, as Harvard Business Review recently found, Black workers feel less supported, engaged and committed to their jobs than their non-Black peers:
- Black employees are less likely than white or Latinx employees to say that their company’s mission or purpose makes them feel their job is important, that their coworkers will do quality work, and that they have opportunities to learn and grow.
- Black leaders are more likely than white ones to leave their organizations.
- Cultural norms and defaults of leadership create inhospitable environments that leave even those Black employees who have advanced feeling like outsiders.
When we look at Quickbase specifically, we recognize that we have a long way to go in attracting, retaining and developing diverse talent across the board, but feel that our most at risk group at this moment are our Black employees. Some of the key objectives of this program include:
- Evaluating equity in pay, performance reviews, career development and opportunities for advancement
- Achieving proportionate representation for Black employees across the organization well above tech standards
- Creating a plan for increased accountability, transparency and continued learning
- Closing the tech opportunity gap for minority-owned small businesses and nonprofits
As we move into 2021, we are continuing to make progress on our Phase I objectives and expand our work to include other dimensions of diversity. By laying out these concrete steps, Quickbase is putting forth a clear path towards becoming more inclusive and hitting our high diversity standards. And all of this is trackable – by using a Quickbase application to report monthly on our goals and share the results publicly across the company, we can keep ourselves honest and make constant improvement.