A Brief History of Software and Computing
When you think of a computer, what do you think of? For some people, they would think of their smartphone, which has a tremendous amount of computing power. Others may think of the laptop or tablet that they use, which also does a multitude of tasks. And others may think of a desktop personal computer that they may be using at work, school or home. While all of these are examples of computers, they have come a long way since early computers.
The earliest computing machines did basic mathematical calculations. While they were helpful, they had just a very small percentage of the power that current computers contain. Over time pioneers in computing continued to work on computers to make them more functional. From computers that took up an entire room to microcomputers of today, the history of computing and computers makes for a compelling story.
To help you learn more about computers and the history, feel free to review the following information.
- The Babbage Computing Engine
- Who Was Charles Babbage?
- Computing Machine History
- Early Calculating and Computing Machines
- Computer Evolution
- Early Computer Information
- Essays on Early Computers
- From Tabulators to Early Computers
- Early Computers of the 1960's
- Early History of Computing
- Personal Computer Milestones
- Early History of the Personal Computer
- 1980's Computer History Timeline
- Early Home Computers and Video Games
- Charles Babbage
- Ada Byron Lovelace
- Dr. George R. Stibitz
- Steve Jobs
- Pioneers of Computers
- Who Built the First Modern Computer
- Modern History of Computing
- Laptop History
- A Brief History of Smartphones
- Computer History Resources
- Computer Science Resources
- Computers and Computing Resources
- History of Computing