Information science can be described as an interdisciplinary science which deals with the analysis, classification, dissemination, collection, manipulation, retrieval, and storage of information. In education, information science is incorporated into library science, which is sometimes known as Library and Information Science. Most significantly, information science helps librarians to collect, preserve, organize, and disseminate information resources using the perspectives, practices, and tools of management. As libraries expand, the task of managing a library becomes more complex so it’s imperative that librarians keep track with the latest developments in information science to stay ahead. Here are some library and information science resources on the web.
Studying Information Science
- Canadian Jobs: Some jobs for library and information science majors.
- Job Listing: Searchable job database maintained by the American Library Association.
- Librarians: A good starting point for people who are interested in the profession.
- Library & Information Science Jobs: A listing of jobs in Georgia, Maine, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.
- CareerOneStop: State job bank sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Job Announcements: Current jobs available at a number of academic and research libraries.
- USAJobs: A place to search for jobs offered by the Federal Government.
- Florida Library Jobs: Look for all types of library jobs in Florida by classification, library type, and job location.
- Kentucky Library Jobs: A free online job posting service offered by the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives.
- VLA Jobline: The library and information service job bank at the Virginia Library Association.
Tools by Department
- Acquisitions Dept: Useful resources for librarians in the acquisitions dept with tools and other information.
- Acquisitions & Collection Development: Great resource center for acquisitions and collection departments.
- Cataloging Resources: A wealth of information for librarians cataloging dept.
- Resources for Cataloging Dept: Covers online, general, music, organizations, journals, and others.
- Reference Department: A list of links to help librarians in the reference department.
- Virtual Reference Shelf: Convenient tool for the reference department.
- Preservation Resources: Extremely useful tool for librarians in the preservation department.
- Preservation Dept: Offers preservation and archive links as well as other relevant links.
- Technical Services: A number of resources for people in the technical services dept.
- Technical Services Resources: Covers acquisitions, authorities, formats, training, MARC standards, and more.
Sites for Librarians