Library and Information Science Resources on the Web
Information science can be described as an interdisciplinary science which deals with the analysis, classification, dissemination, collection, manipulation, retrieval, and storage of information. In education, information science is incorporated into library science, which is sometimes known as Library and Information Science. Most significantly, information science helps librarians to collect, preserve, organize, and disseminate information resources using the perspectives, practices, and tools of management. As libraries expand, the task of managing a library becomes more complex so it’s imperative that librarians keep track with the latest developments in information science to stay ahead. Here are some library and information science resources on the web.
Studying Information Science
- University of Pittsburg: Provides information on library and information science course at the school.
- San Jose State University: Courses and programs leading to the Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science.
- Rutgers: An overview of the curriculum at the State University of New Jersey.
- Simmons: One of the best library and information science programs in the country.
- University of Washington: Summary of the course offerings for library and information science students.
- University of North Texas: Graduate catalog of library and information science courses.
- University of Iowa: Offers information on academics, research, newsletters, people, and more.
- University of North Carolina: The programs available at the School of Information and Library Science.
- University of Denver: Learn about the programs of study available at the Morgridge College of Education.
- Indiana University: A listing of the topics in library and information science.
- Canadian Jobs: Some jobs for library and information science majors.
- Job Listing: Searchable job database maintained by the American Library Association.
- Librarians: A good starting point for people who are interested in the profession.
- Library & Information Science Jobs: A listing of jobs in Georgia, Maine, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.
- CareerOneStop: State job bank sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Job Announcements: Current jobs available at a number of academic and research libraries.
- USAJobs: A place to search for jobs offered by the Federal Government.
- Florida Library Jobs: Look for all types of library jobs in Florida by classification, library type, and job location.
- Kentucky Library Jobs: A free online job posting service offered by the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives.
- VLA Jobline: The library and information service job bank at the Virginia Library Association.
- The Bulletin: A top journal of children’s book reviews for the nation’s school and public librarians.
- No More Boring Boards: Many ideas for librarians to create more interesting bulletin boards.
- Digital Library Federation: The official site with information on publications, activities, awards, and more.
- Digital Libraries: A place to read the online text by William Y. Arms.
- Digital Libraries on the Net: Lists some of the most well-known digital libraries in the world.
- Internet Searching: Another list with links to more digital libraries.
- Databases: A comprehensive resource center for librarians.
- Articles & Databases: Search for news, articles, images, and statistics at the New York Public Library.
- UNESCO Libraries: A great tool for all librarians.
- Library iPortal: A portal for librarians by the Lahore University of Management Sciences.
Tools by Department
- Acquisitions Dept: Useful resources for librarians in the acquisitions dept with tools and other information.
- Acquisitions & Collection Development: Great resource center for acquisitions and collection departments.
- Cataloging Resources: A wealth of information for librarians cataloging dept.
- Resources for Cataloging Dept: Covers online, general, music, organizations, journals, and others.
- Reference Department: A list of links to help librarians in the reference department.
- Virtual Reference Shelf: Convenient tool for the reference department.
- Preservation Resources: Extremely useful tool for librarians in the preservation department.
- Preservation Dept: Offers preservation and archive links as well as other relevant links.
- Technical Services: A number of resources for people in the technical services dept.
- Technical Services Resources: Covers acquisitions, authorities, formats, training, MARC standards, and more.
Sites for Librarians
- School Libraries: A directory of websites created by school librarians around the world.
- The New Librarian’s List: Forum for all types of librarians.
- New Librarians: A resource center for new librarians.
- Weblogs: Exhaustive list of blogs for librarians by librarians.
- Professional Librarian Sites: A list of links to professional associations, job listings, weblogs, networks, and others.
- Documents Librarians: Some useful websites for these librarians.
- Teaching Tips: Outlines some tips for librarians to teach Generation X and Generation Y better.
- Tips for Tracking Trends: Learn the top ten tips for maintaining a trendy library.
- Career Advice: A guide for present and future librarians.
- Career Ladder: Provides insights into the career of a law librarian.